The Bomfords of Worcestershire
NEW INN LANE
Extract from The Bomfords of Worcestershireby Dr Bruce Bomford FRCS, Salford Priors, 1983. The work was published privately and only a few copies were made. Re-published here with permission from Dr Bomford's sons.
Capt. John Eyston of Faringdon, Berkshire, owned the land at New Inn and the Portway Barn, Salford Lodge, The Red House Farm and the meadows from Harvington to Salford Priors. Also he owned Salford Hall (The Nunnery) and the whole of Abbots Salford including Brook Farm. He did not own the Inn named The Eyston Arms and The Presbytery.
In 1942 Uncle Pip Hughes bought the lot for £42,000 and let his brother Bert Hughes have half of it (“like a fool”, he adds). Alf Robbins bought Brook Farm. Pip also bought Harvington Lodge from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and this he sold to Uncle Ken he says. (Note: this may refer to part of the land and there is further confusion as some claimed that Lilias put up some money towards part of Harvington Lodge).
In 1955 Uncle Pip bought land at Lench from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at £50 per acre, e.g. 170 acres for £8,500. He adds that Clive Powell Cheshire Gibson on the War Agricultural Committee was a good friend and advised Uncle Pip, and let him know when the land was available which was good farm land.
Bert Hughes lived at Moat House and farmed the land at Abbots Salford. He was a senior member of the War Agricultural Committee. He was married to Mrs. Roma Hughes, but they separated and Mrs. Rita Jones lived at the house, which is next to Salford Hall. She had lived on there since Bert Hughes died.
In 1980 the land is farmed by the Hughes family. Richard Hughes of Dumbleton is a tenant of the farm while John and Barry have the land in trust.