The Bomfords of Worcestershire
THE BOMFORDS OF CHADBURY
Extract from The Bomfords of Worcestershireby Dr Bruce Bomford FRCS, Salford Priors, 1983. The work was published privately and only a few copies were made. Re-published here with permission from Dr Bomford's sons.
The ancestry of this group may be traced as follows:-
Heming Bomford who married Elizabeth Challingworth, lived at The Firs, Atch Lench.
Their son Heming Bomford married twice. His second wife, Letitia Summers had four children, the eldest James.
James Bomford married Miss E. Smith and they lived at Alcester.
William Bomford, their eldest son, married Emily Oxendale and they lived at Chadbury.
Their children were:-
1. Jessie married Mr. Hunter and lived in Bristol.
2. Gertrude married Walter Towle and lived at Chadbury.
3. William Edward, died young.
4. Kathleen married Arnold Hiller and lived at Dunnington.
5. Frank, died young.
6. Janet married Mr. R. B. Purvis. They lived at Chadbury and Campden.
7. Margery married Mr. H. A. White. She is buried in Norton churchyard.
8. Helena married M. Jorre of French extraction. She became a concert pianist.
On the death of William Bomfords widow, Chadbury Mill House and the Mill were bought by Mr. and Mrs. Purvis. They lived for some years in the house, then converted the Mill and moved into it and sold the house. They finally sold the Mill in the early 1960s and moved to Campden.
Arnold Hiller was a successful farmer at Dunnington on the Ragley Estate. His son, Robert, continued the business and expanded to include a large “pick your own” enterprise and became a leading authority on farming techniques in the area, as well as starting a spacious shop for the produce.
William Bomford of Chadbury had two brothers who must be mentioned:-
1. Benjamin, 1864-1915, was Manager of Espley’s Brickworks in Stratford-on-Avon and he married Mary Rimell-Smith. Their son, James Guy Bomford, 1893-1949, was a partner in the firm of Booth and Bomford, electrical contractors, Evesham. He married Gladys Lewis.
2. Edward Joseph Bomford, 1868-1957, was a Director of Espley’s Builders of Evesham. Uncle Ted, as he was called, lived at Fernbank, in Greenhill, Evesham, and then at Greenhill House, originally called “Catalpa”, a large white building just below Croft Road, now turned into flats.
He also had a sister, Rose, who married W. Gill Smith and their son K. Gill Smith practiced as a Solicitor and was a Director of the Evesham Journal and Four Shires Advertiser. He was closely connected with the editorial side of the paper and wrote the leading articles for 40 years.